In 1979 Janet Collett, a St. Budeaux resident, thought that more use could be made of the run down Tennis Courts in Verna Road which were owned by the City Council.
She approached David Williams as she knew he had been heavily involved in running both the Carhullen and Mannamead Tennis Clubs at various times from 1955 to 1972.
Together they approached the City Council and were given permission to use the Courts at certain times to see if the idea was feasible. The rest as they say is history.
There was a great deal of interest and before long a Club was formed. It was initially called Mount Tamar but after two years the name changed to St. Budeaux Tennis Club.
A lease was agreed with the City Council and a yearly rent also put in place.
The two courts were resurfaced and before long membership had increased which meant that a third court was needed. The Council agreed to the use of the land but the third Court was paid for by the Club with the help of grants.
Initially a portable wooden clubhouse was added to the old Council stone changing rooms. After a few years both these were removed and a new purpose built clubhouse was erected in 1987 mainly due to the efforts of the committee and especially the then Secretary Frank Old.
In 1991 floodlights were installed on two courts with again a lot of work from Frank Old and the Club proceeded to go from strength to strength both in membership and standard of play.
The Club still operates under a lease from the City Council who are responsible for the Courts being maintained in a good condition.
The club has competed in the Plymouth & District Tennis League continuously for 30 years with great success. ( See Honours list ).
Membership fees are the lowest in the area and new members are most welcome. ( See Contact details).